How to Use Plottr's AI Plot Generator
Select a Genre
Add Story Details
Using Your AI-Generated Plot in Plottr
Now that you have some plot ideas to work from, it’s time to start organizing them!
- Open Plottr on your computer or click here to download a free trial for desktop
- With Plottr installed, create a new project or open an existing project
- If you’re starting a new book, create an entirely new outline using some of the ideas in the generated outline for inspiration
- If you’re updating an existing book, blend the AI generated outline and your own ideas to help fill plot holes or better establish your character’s goals, motivations, and conflicts in your story
- You may also discover character, setting, and other story details that you can incorporate into the Characters, Places, and Notes sections of Plottr
These are just a few of the ways you can use the results produced by the Plottr AI Plot Generator, and we’re sure you will come up with some of your own!
Your AI Plot Generator Questions, Answered
What is Plottr's free AI plot generator?
The Plottr AI Plot Generator is a free tool powered by OpenAI that uses some simple information you provide to generate a sample plot.
The information it uses includes:
- Genre: Are you writing a mystery, a romance, or a fantasy? Genre determines what kind of plot will work for your story.
- Conflict: The central conflict of your story will also determine the shape of your story and the trials your character will face along the way. The better you can define that conflict, the more accurate the plot results will be.
- Your Main Character: This is the person your story is about, and usually the point of view we see the story from. What is your main character’s personality like? What are their goals? Describe them as succinctly as possible.
- Your Villain: Your villain is often the opposite of your main character in many ways, and this produces tension and conflict. Describe what your villain’s personality is like, and give them goals that oppose those of your main character.
- Where your story takes place: The setting of your story is often related to the tone, the conflict, and is often a big part of generating a compelling plot. Describe your setting as briefly as possible.
Using the prompts you provide, the tool generates a plot that can spark ideas – even if you don’t end up using all of them.
How can an AI plot generator help me?
As writers, we often have lots of big ideas. Plottr’s AI Plot Generator can help you take those big ideas and break them down into the elements of a story, presented in an outline format.
This can help you see some options for the way your story could go, and offers options you might not have considered on their own.
An AI plot generator can also help you if you are stuck, or if you just want to have some fun exploring how your plot might be different if you changed the genre or wrote it with a different tone, villain, or by switching up the main character.
Not only does this tool generate new ideas and options for writers, but it can be really fun at the same time.
What's the difference between an AI plot generator and a random plot generator?
An AI plot generator harnesses the power of artificial intelligence to carefully tailor a plot outline for your story based on the inputs you provide. In contrast, a random plot generator produces a plot outline based on random inputs, resulting in a randomly generated story concept.
How often can I use Plottr's AI Plot generator?
You can use the tool for free up to 3 times per day. If you'd like to use it more often, please send us a message.