How to Use Plottr's AI Plot Generator
Select a Genre
Add Story Details
Using Your AI-Generated Dialogue in Plottr
Now that you have a dialogue idea to work from, it’s time to figure out how to make it work in your story! Here are some tips for doing that:
- Open Plottr on your computer or click here to download a free trial for desktop
- With Plottr installed, create a new project or open an existing project
- Create a new scene card or open an existing scene card containing the scene the dialogue belongs in
- Add the dialogue in the description section. If you have more than one dialogue snippet, label or number them for later reference.
- Create a new note in the Notes section of Plottr. Label it something like “potential dialogue.” Copy and paste your AI generated dialogue snippets into the description section.
- Refer to the generated dialogue when you are ready to write the scene or scenes you have generated dialogue for
Using the dialogue generated by the Plottr AI dialogue generator can even help you flesh out parts of your plot, helping you to understand what should happen in that scene. AI generated dialogue can be useful in the planning, writing, and revising process.
Your AI Dialogue Generator Questions, Answered
What is Plottr's AI dialogue generator?
The Plottr AI Dialogue Generator uses the OpenAI platform to create dialogue related to your story and to a particular scene by taking information you enter and turning that into an AI generated conversation including dialogue tags.
To get started, here's what to do:
- Genre: The type of dialogue your story contains will be influenced by genre. Whether you are writing a fantasy, romance, or historical fiction, defining genre will help the AI understand what the tone of the dialogue should be.
- Who is speaking? This is your point of view character in this particular scene. Who is controlling the conversation? Who starts it? Who is the primary speaker?
- Who is being addressed? Who is the point of view character talking to? This information helps the AI to generate accurate dialogue tags.
- What is the conversation in response to? In your story, conversations should not just be random, but should be in response to an event or conflict. For example, a traveler seeking directions along their journey in a fantasy is in response to the need for information.
For example, in the traveler example above, the genre would be fantasy.
The person speaking would be the traveler (be sure to give them a name – you can always change it later if needed).
The person being addressed would be the person the traveler asked for directions.
The conversation would be in response to the traveler finding themselves lost and asking a person for directions and information.
How can an AI dialogue generator help me?
The Plottr AI Dialogue Generator can help you plan your story, fight writer's block, or just come up with some fresh ideas for dialogue in a particular scene or chapter.
- You can include dialogue as a part of your outline or story planning to add a layer of depth to your summary of what each scene should be about.
- AI Generated Dialogue can help you break through writer’s block by helping you figure out what is said next or even what happens next in your scene. Is there a verbal argument? Does an argument escalate to physical violence? Generating dialogue can help you decide.
- If your dialogue in a scene or chapter is stale, AI Generated dialogue can help you spice it up again, or just get the conversation back on track. By entering the required information, you’ll often understand your character’s purpose for this conversation, and you’ll have fresh ideas for where to take things next.
You can probably think of other ways the Plottr AI Dialogue Generator can help you with your story planning and your writing. We can’t wait to see the many ways you come up with!
What's the difference between an AI dialogue generator and a random dialogue generator?
An AI dialogue generator uses artificial intelligence to analyze the information you enter into the tool and craft a dialogue concept for your story customized to the context you provide.
By contrast, a random dialogue generator uses random inputs to create a random dialogue idea for your story without any understanding of the context of your story and what you are writing.
Is this AI dialogue generator really free?
Yes! You can use the tool for free up to 3 times per day. If you'd like to use it more often, please send us a message.